Blood Spot Self-Collection
It is important that you follow the instructions carefully. View video and read instructions (PDF) attentively before collecting your blood sample.
If your sample is rejected because the collection was completed incorrectly, a replacement kit fee will apply.
Warm your fingers in very warm water before you begin to increase blood flow.
Once you begin to bleed, wipe off the first drop of blood (because this is partially clotted).
Milk your finger from your knuckle to tip of finger to cause a good blood flow.
Add only 4 drops of blood and no more. Adding too much sample can lead to a failed sample collection.
The drops must be applied to the open center; the silicone cover must NOT be removed.
Once 4 drops are applied right at the center of the spiral, blood will begin separating.
The collection device must be closed in 5 minutes, even when the blood is not completely separated. Complete separation takes about 30 minutes, but you will not see that because the device must be closed short after collection.
• Reference Card
• Foil pouch with blood collection device
• 2 lancets
• 1 gauze
• 1 alcohol swab
• White envelope (for completed sample device)
• FedEx shipping envelope
Your Reference Card includes two locations to register your sample.
You MUST register at BOTH sites. Otherwise we will lose the tracking and processing information required.
You have been provided a FEDEX Envelope which INCLUDES Customs Documents required for cross border shipping of medical samples. Dried Blood Spot devices DO NOT require special packaging.
- To avoid biological degradation issues, the sample should be processed as soon as possible
- Use your return FedEx courier envelope WITHIN ONE WEEK. We are told that Customs Declaration forms usually EXPIRE if the shipment is not sent soon after the waybill is created. We do not want US Customs delaying your sample delivery to the lab, or worse returned to you.
- Ensure your green device has a BARCODE ID on its lid
- Once your sample has dried, (wait 15 minutes) close the lid firmly
- Place the device into the WHITE envelope and seal it
- Only include the manually completed consent form if you DID NOT complete the TWO registrations sites ONLINE
- Place the white envelope containing the sample with the form (if you did not register online), into the FEDEX envelope
- Call FedEx for pick up OR drop off at a FEDEX store or shipping box if you know of one near you. (This is NOT a Canada Post Mailbox)
Shipping of a non-infectious blood spot is declaration exempt and can be shipped using an envelope.
In 48-72 hours after lab sample arrives, you can get your results on secure online portal.
- BARCODE ID
- Date of Birth
The DropTM COVID-19 antibody test performed by CoreMedica, established in 2020 in Lee’s Summit, Missouri, USA, specializes in minimally invasive testing. CoreMedica is a CLIA licensed and CAP Accredited Laboratory.
CoreMedica’s SARS-CoV-2 virus IgG and IgM antibody test is under the regulatory jurisdiction of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services who enforces the Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments (CLIA) program. Any organization must have a CLIA certificate in order to provide clinical laboratory services in the United States. The CLIA program is administrated by the Centers of Medicare and Medicaid (CMS), the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), and the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). PEUA200459
The ELISA testing methodology used by CoreMedica for antibodies detection does not require Health Canada approval because the test is completed using a standardized laboratory technique in a licensed laboratory in the United States and ordered by a licensed Canadian physician.
Dry Blood Spot Collection Device
The HemaSpot-SE Blood Collection and Transport Device is listed with the FDA as a Class I device (general controls), Product Code: NNK, and under 21 CFR 864.3250. This device is exempt from the premarket notification and does not require FDA approval.
In Canada, CoreMedica has filed their HemaSpot-SE™ Collection Device with Health Canada and are awaiting approval that this device meets the health and safety standards of Health Canada to collect blood drops. Therefore, blood collection using the HemaSpot-SE™ Collection Device in Canada will be performed under physician supervision until this device is approved by Health Canada.